Meet the Physicians
Memorial Center for Integrative Endocrine Surgery
David Bimston, MD, FSSO, FACS
Dr. Bimston graduated with honors from Washington University in St. Louis before attending medical school at New York University. He culminated a seven-year general surgery residency at Northwestern University with a two-year research fellowship in molecular endocrine messaging. He then moved to Los Angeles for two years of subspecialty training in surgical endocrine oncology at City of Hope National Medical Center.
In 2001, Dr. Bimston relocated to South Florida, serving as Director of Surgical Oncology at North Broward Medical Center and then, Chairman of the Department of Surgery at Imperial Point Medical Center in Ft. Lauderdale. Dr. Bimston began an endocrine surgical collaboration with R. Mack Harrell, MD, in 2005, before both specialists moved their practice to Memorial Healthcare System in 2011.
Dr. Bimston is board certified in general surgery by the American Board of Surgery. He has served as an assistant professor of surgery at Nova Southeastern University since 2003. As a pioneer in minimally invasive approaches to endocrine surgery, he has accumulated extensive experience in parathyroid, thyroid and adrenal surgery. Dr. Bimston's unique expertise and meticulous, patient-centered approach to endocrine surgery have made him one of the most respected surgical specialists in South Florida.
- Bimston, D.N., Song, J., Winchester, D.J., Takayama, S., Reed, J.C., and Morimoto, R.I. BAG-1, a Negative Regulator of Hsp70 Chaperone Activity, Uncouples Nucleotide Hydrolysis from Substrate Release. EMBO J. 1998; 17: 6871-8.
- Bimston, D.N., McGee, J.P, Liptay, M.J. and Fry, W.A. Continuous Paravertebral Extrapleural Infusion for Post-Thoracotomy Pain Management. Surgery 1999; 126: 650-7.
- Bimston, D.N., Bebb, G.G. and Wagman, L.D. Is Specimen Mammography Beneficial? Arch Surg 2000; 135:1083-88.
- Qiu, J., Bimston, D.N., Partikian, A., and Shen, B. Arginine Residues 47 and 70 of Human Flap Endonuclease-1 are Involved in DNA Substrate Interactions and Cleavage Site Determination. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 24659-66.
- Harrell R.M., Mackman D.M. and Bimston D.N. Nonequivalent Results of Tetrofosmin and Sestamibi Imaging of Parathyroid Tumors. Endocrine Practice 2006; 12:179-182.
- Harrell R.M. and Bimston D.N. Optimization of Minimally Invasive Radio-Guided Parathyroidectomy: The Importance of Neck Ultrasonography and Intraoperative Parathyroid Hormone Assay. Endocrine Practice 2008. 14(7): 856-862.
- Morimoto, RI., Kline, M.P., Bimston, D.N., and Cotto, J.J. (1997) The Heat-Shock Response: Regulation and Function of Heat-Shock Proteins and Molecular Chaperones. Essays in Biochemistry, (Boles, D.J., ed.), Vol 32, pp. 17-29, Portland Press.
- Bimston, D.N., Hansen, N., and Talamonti, M. (2001) Adult Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Oncology/Hematology Handbook – Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, (Rosen, S.T. and Kuzel, T.M., ed.), pp. 307-19, PRR.
- Bimston, D.N., Hansen, N., and Talamonti, M. (2001) Melanoma. Oncology/Hematology Handbook – Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University", (Rosen, S.T. and Kuzel, T.M., ed.), pp. 320-34, PRR.
- Bimston, D.N. and Stryker, SJ. (2005) Volvulus of the Colon. "Current Therapy in Colon and Rectal Surgery", 2/E (Fazio, V.W., Church, J.M., and Delaney, C.P., eds), pp. 315-20, Elsevier Mosby.
Is Your Doctor a Memorial Doctor?
To find a physician who is committed to South Florida healthcare services, call Memorial Physician Referral Service toll-free at 800-944-DOCS. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.