Meet the Physicians
Memorial Center for Integrative Endocrine Surgery
R. Mack Harrell, MD, FACP, FACE, ECNU
Dr. Harrell received his bachelor's and medical degrees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was awarded the prestigious Morehead Fellowship in Medicine. After completing a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Minnesota, Dr. Harrell did a clinical and research fellowship in endocrinology at Duke University. As a faculty member there, he developed a special interest in parathyroid, thyroid and adrenal disease.
In 1991, Dr. Harrell was recruited by Cleveland Clinic Florida, where he pioneered office neck ultrasonography and became their first Chief of Endocrinology, before moving on to become the Director of Metabolic Outcomes for the North Broward Hospital District in Ft. Lauderdale in 1999. Dr. Harrell began an endocrine surgical collaboration with David Bimston, MD, in 2005, before both specialists moved their practice to Memorial Healthcare System in 2011. Dr. Harrell has been recognized with “Patients’ Choice” and “Top Doctor” awards.
Dr. Harrell is board certified in endocrinology and metabolism by the American Board of Internal Medicine. In addition he is among fewer than 200 physicians worldwide who have completed the Endocrine Neck Ultrasound (ECNU) program administered by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinology (AACE), where he serves on the Executive Committee. He has served as a clinical professor of medicine at Nova Southeastern University since 2001. During more than 20 years in neck ultrasonography practice and more than 26 years in endocrinology consultation work, Dr. Harrell has performed thousands of thyroid biopsies and parathyroid localizations. He brings a unique expertise to the diagnosis and treatment of thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal tumors.
- Harrell RM, Sibley R and Vogelzang NJ. Renal vascular lesions after therapy with vinblastine, bleomycin and cisplatin. AmJMed. 73:429-433.
- Harrell RM and Drezner MK. Postmenopausal and Senile Osteoporosis: A therapeutic dilemma. Drug Therapy 4/83:103-115.
- Harrell RM. The importance of the dental exam. North Carolina Medical Journal. 1983. 44:505-506.
- Harrell RM, Lopez PF and Cabral JM. Adrenal insufficiency and hypercalcemia: A unique presentation of colon cancer. The Endocrinologist. 1994. 4:347-350.
- Harrell RM and Kaye MD. Pseudoinsulinoma:Splenic artery tortuousity masquerading as multiple islet cell tumors. Endocrine Practice 1995. 1: 257-259.
- Harrell RM, Mackman DM and Bimston DN. Nonequivalent Results of Tetrofosmin and Sestamibi Imaging of Parathyroid Tumors Endocrine Practice 2006. 12:179-182.
- Harrell RM and Bimston D.N. Optimization of Minimally Invasive Radio-Guided Parathyroidectomy: The Importance of Neck Ultrasonography and Intraoperative Parathyroid Hormone Assay. Endocrine Practice 2008. 14(7): 856-862.
- Harrell RM and Abensour DS. Glycostator: A Novel Technology to Summarize Blood Glucose Control in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. Endocrine Practice 2008. 14(9): 1115-1125.
- Harrell RM and Orzeck EA. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists Socioeconomics and Member Advocacy Committee: Coding guidelines for continuous glucose monitoring. Endocrine Practice 2010. 16(2):151-154.
Is Your Doctor a Memorial Doctor?
To find a physician who is committed to South Florida healthcare services, call Memorial Physician Referral Service toll-free at 800-944-DOCS. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.